Monday 26 January 2015

Check out those buns!!


Come on now...you didn't really think I meant those kind of buns, did you?!?!?

Awwww snap! You did too! LOL!!!

Sorry to disappoint, but we're not talking steaming hot, man buns... We're talking steaming hot sauerkraut buns!!

My men (or boys, depending on the day) LOOOOOOVE their sauerkraut.  It's gotta be something in the blood...you know, Ukrainian heritage and all...

Picture it, Tillsonburg, 2002...

So I have the "family recipe" for sauerkraut buns. Something I've never heard of, never eaten and all I can see is the anticipation in my man's face.  He's going to get homemade sauerkraut buns from his ever-loving woman, and he hasn't had them in years because they take forever to make, and he thinks I'm going to slave over them, and produce the glorious fermented-vegetable-filled-bread-pocket that he adores.  

Fast forward 12 years, and behold! The mouth-watering hasn't stopped. The sauerkraut buns? Still unmade.  It's cruel and unusual punishment, I know.  But, don't fret, he's been fed in that time.  A lot. And good food, too! I can cook a mean meal, people!

Why haven't I attempted the sauerkraut buns? I make bread, from scratch, by hand, regularly.  The process isn't foreign nor intimidating.  So why not just do it? Make the dough, scoop the sauerkraut, stuff the dough. Sounds easy enough. And it is! It's just tedious.  And I have a thing about tedium.  It's tedious. There is no other word, so don't find one for me.  I sometimes wonder if an ADD diagnosis was missed in my childhood.  Tedium is annoying.

Anyway, back to the buns....See? ...ADD.... 

Well, a few weeks back, we were visiting my in-laws, and out came some sauerkraut buns.  And the man-boys went WILD! Wild, I tell ya! Those things were gone in a split second. I looked at my mother-in-law with wide eyes, knowing how long it can take to make something so tedious....and watching it go sooo fast... all that work, Gone! (it reminded me of Christmas dinner...)

Then, she let me in on a little secret....pre-made dough.  Oh yeah! PRE-MADE DOUGH!!  Pizza dough to be exact.  Cuts out most of that tedium, and boom, EASY SAUERKRAUT BUNS!!! 

So, in the spirit of easy to do, ...and sharing, of course! ...I thought you should know what I know, and I made a tutorial.  

Yep! Now you, too, can make these hand-held treats for yourself.  It's a super-simple formula, and I've laid it all out for you in pictures.  So without further ado....


1.  Drain your favourite type of sauerkraut in a sieve, over a bowl.  Keep the juices in case you drain too much.  You can always put it back in the jar.  If you're using a can that you've had to open with a can opener, you cannot put the sauerkraut back in the can.  Make more buns, if you have some left over. Or eat it.  You choose.


2.  Get your favourite pre-made pizza dough, and roll it out about 1/8" thick. At this stage, preheat your oven to the temperature recommended for the dough.  Mine was 425 degrees F.

3. Using the open end of a cup (approximately 4" across), or your best 4" round cookie cutter, cut a bunch of circles.

4. Gather up the scraps, and set aside.  You can re-roll these for more buns! Plop about a tablespoon of sauerkraut in the centre of each circle.

5.  If you've made perogies, you should know how to fold these babies up.  If not, fold the circle in half, and pinch the edges together, sealing in the sauerkraut.  This is where it's really important that you've drained the juices from the cabbage.  Too much moisture, and they'll fall apart or won't seal if the edges of the circles are wet. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet so they don't stick.


6. Bake for the recommended time for your dough...mine was 15 minutes...


When they're done, they're golden brown....


.....and according to my man-boys, delicious!!

Do you have any family recipes that you've simplified??!! Share them with me! And, if you try these, let me know how they went for you...and show me a picture!!

Find me here: Facebook , InstagramPinterest and Twitter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment